Monday, July 14, 2008

Sunday Brunch in Berlin...take 2!

On Saturday morning I made apfelfannkuchen or German apple pancakes. I have basically no measuring appliances so I was surprised they turned out as well as they did!

This is done the German way with nothing but flour, eggs, milk, apples (Duh!) and salt. I also added vanilla sugar. Delicious!! A little strange to my American ideals that they were flat but amazingly delicious!

Of course, brunch on Sunday outdid my Saturday morning meal! This time I did my homework and I found a place that was more vegetarian accommodating. We even took a pic of the spread but it was dark and came out blurry.

This time the brunch was at an Italian place called Belluro. The brunch included such items as chicken legs, tomato/mozzarella salad, pasta salad with crustaceans of some kind but not shrimp, weird fried calamari, pizza, omelettes (in Germany-these are just scrambled eggs) fruit salad, lots of different pasta salads, super delicious brussel sprouts, eggplant, cheeses, ham and salami slices, bread, tiramisu, orange cake, and so on...Did I mention the tiramisu?

This brunch was fantastic but unfortunately all of Berlin was practically there! It was busy and we got lucky getting a table.

I walked back to my seat with my plate full 1. I was hungry-it was 1pm and I hadn't really eaten since then and 2. B usually picks off of my plate and 3. The last brunch we went too kept running out of plates! These Germans next to me went "Whoa!" as I walked by! The nerve! I ignored them but kept listening to their conversation which, even though we were in ultra hip Prenzlauerberg Platz, was neither hip nor exciting.

Speaking of which: most people probably don't know this but I lived here outside of Munich for a little in 1995 and attended gymnasium. I also took it in high school and college. It wasn't for long but I do speak a little German. Some people commenting or emailing me seemed surprised that I am speaking in German so quickly. It really isn't that good for the amount of German I have had. Of course, like most languages, my comprehension is MUCH better than my speaking.

I also have family from Germany in Schwarzwald (Blackforest) that I would like to visit someday.

I am mostly surprised that anyone but dear old Mom is reading! :)

1 comment:

Cap11C said...

DT - when you get back stateside, you need to compile all these posts into a book - these are some of the most poignant and earthy stories I've read in a long time. Your pasion might be teaching knuckleheads (especially the high school variety), but you have a knack for writing and observation. Keep 'em coming!