Monday, July 21, 2008

Germans and their Snails.

The Scientist and I have been noticing a common theme around here. Germans must love snails or die Schnecke.

You might be wondering how we picked up the word for snail so quickly.

This is called Schnecke. It is a type of Wurst. The meat counter clerk had to draw us a picture to help us understand. (I think this maybe a Berlin thing.)


This is also called Schnecke. This was an especially delicious Schnecke (with no snails in it-just Mohn or poppy seeds!)

They have Schnecke in their playgrounds.

They even have a puppet Schnecke on Sesame Strasse!

I don't see a lot of snails around. Maybe in past centuries there were lots of snails here? Who knows?

I do know that snail was definitely not one of the first (for the Scientist) and additional (for me)German words we expected to learn!

To Schneckes! PROST!

3 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

You'll see snails soon enough! After the rain you can often see them on the sidewalk at the edge of woodsy areas.

Here's a picture of one we saw in the Black Forest:
http://cndrnh.blogspot.com/2007/06/it-was-kind-with-curled-house-on-its.html

C N Heidelberg said...

Let me try that again:

http://cndrnh.blogspot.com
/2007/06/
it-was-kind-with-curled-
house-on-its.html

Yelli said...

CN: Thank you so much for the link! I love the pics and I can't wait to see my first "one with a house on it" Being from Seattle, I am used to the ones "without a house" (and they were BIG!)

That was a great post.