Monday, July 28, 2008

Adventures in Suburban Berlin

We had a really delightful weekend.

On Friday night, we went over to some other friends of ours with 2 adorable little girls. We had great conversation and Baby Bird absolutely loves playing with them. He asks about them a lot and even picks up the phone and says their names!

On Saturday, we broke down and got a microwave. Our apartment didn't come with one and we were trying to live without it but broke down and bought a used one. It is was for sale in a part of Berlin called Zehlendorf. Nothing too memorable about this except that it was amazing that this area was still Berlin! It looked liked Suburbia! This shouldn't surprise you but I heard it is mostly American. (of course-who am I to talk when I was going there to get a microwave!)

We did see a fence post literally covered with these little bugs that remind me of box elder bugs (but due to the fact we are in Germany are probably something else!)

We also stopped by this charming train station which is called MexicoPlatz. We read it was one of the few places not bombed to bits in the War and thus what Old Berlin looked like.
Across the street was really cool too. I am in there with Baby Bird doing my best I-didn't-know-you-were-taking-a-pic-of-me pose.

It is hard to believe sometimes I am in Berlin but when I see buildings like this, I know I am "not in Kansas anymore!" (erhhh...substitute Chicago or Seattle for Kansas)

Sunday's adventure deserves it own post. And I don't have enough time to write because Hausfrau duties are a'callin. to be continued...

1 comment:

Carol said...

Oooooh! Ladybugs!! (Kinda... sorta... not really.) We were in Berlin for just three days last September. (http://northwestladybug.blogspot.com/2007/09/berlin-day-and-half-is-week-too-short.html#links) Three days just TEASED us; we needed about 2 weeks!

Carol