Monday, August 25, 2008

Unplug your Kids! cylinders

Since I am the most uncreative person in the world when it comes to art projects or "Things to keep a 2-year-old occupied on a rainy Sunday afternoon" I decided to try out this website called Unplug your Kids. The premise is that you don't watch TV or anything else electronic and instead spend your time doing other things.

Each week is a different theme and everyone comes up with a project centered around the theme. Then you post it on your blog and link to it! The theme this week was cylinders.

The Scientist and I gathered all of the art supplies we have since only moving across the world a few weeks ago (which wasn't much obviously) but we had made a trip to IKEA and picked up some crayons, paint and construction paper shortly after we moved here.

We started by coloring on the construction paper which we intended on making cylinder people!

We said the word cylinder to our 2 year old as we stapled/glued the construction paper into cylinder. (Hearing a 2 year old say the word cylinder is pretty hilarious and I should try to figure out how to do sound bytes)

UPDATE: I figured it out. Here it is:



After we stopped cracking up, we put straws on the cylinder person. Here is B concentrating really hard!
The one above was the one we made together. I tried to have a theme of different shapes. He gets circle but gets all of the other shapes confused. We made circle eyes and triangle buttons and square legs.

We got pretty carried away and made a cylinder dog and cylinder fish. B liked cylinder dog. He kept running around with it making it bark. He also liked to make "cylinder Dada" pet "cylinder dog."


Here is us posing with our "cylinder family."

We had a great time and even made cylinder binoculars.
The "cylinder family" was not pretty but we made it ourselves! I really enjoyed this and a big shout out to Unplug your kids for having such a great idea!

12 comments:

Bobbie said...

these are adorable!!! we love doing the unplugged projects.. it takes us most of the week to work up to it... be we love it..

enjoy germany

Gottfredsen said...

Those are so cute. I am going to have to remember the idea for my little guy, he would love it.

Dayna said...

welcome to the challenge - we have so much fun with it every week.

Nice job with the cylinder people - they are really sweet. Love the binoculars too.

So Smrt said...

Yay, cylinder family! We loved listening to our 2 year old say it, too, but didn't get a chance to post our project yet. Oh well.

Nature Mama said...

Those are so cute! We love making binoculars like yours to :) Great project.

MrsMomma said...

What great family time! Thanks for sharing!
-Heather

Michie said...

The cylinder family is so cute! :)

Ashley said...

What a cute idea, and great way of adapting it for a younger child.

School for Us said...

Love the family! And, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time. :-)

Mom Unplugged said...

I am so glad you had fun with this idea! Yes, a recording of him saying "cylinder" would be very cute!

I like the cylinder family. I think it is very creative for someone who calls herself "uncreative!" Sometimes it just takes a little nudge. I know it does for me. I do not consider myself crafty, but given a basic theme, I find that it inspires somehow.

Thanks for joining us. I hope we'll see you next week for insect!

(And thanks for the "big shout out," I appreciate it!)

Anonymous said...

Hey---- how about a cylinder bigfoot.?????

Dad said...

Hi all
Its my 58th birthday(how did that happen) and Im sitting at my desk checking out the blog and the pics of Bode remind me of a very young Chris sitting at my kitchen table building something, or playing with cars. Its truly an amazing thing to see. Your a wonderful family and I miss you all.
Have a great weekend.
Dad