Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

What a wonderful place to be..surrounded by 2-6 year olds eagerly correcting my bad German all day. They explained that a Plate is a Teller not a Platte (plate vs platter) and even going as far as to grab my hand to a plate laying around to make sure I understood! It was, to say the least, a humbling day.

Baby Bird's first day of kindergarten (remember preschool is called kindergarten in Germany) was wonderful. I stayed the entire day with him and will be coming and going for the next couple of weeks allowing him to ease into a school where he doesn't speak the language.

Of course, he is almost 2 1/2 so I don't think there will be much of a language problem. He barely speaks English!

They started off the day by singing delightful German tunes. One was a song about a schones Madchen who has to ask her father, mother, dog, cat and mouse to date some guy and finally the mouse tells her no so she runs off and gets married to the guy anyway (and if I heard correctly-they go to Amerika!) The little boy playing the part of the boyfriend was not eager to be playing that part to an overly eager 4 year old "schones Madchen!" Baby Bird LOVES to sing. I don't know if every 2 year old sings so eagerly without knowing any of the words but my little Baby Bird sure does!

Then I get put on the spot and had to teach the kiddios "Wheels on the Bus" in English, Baby Bird's favorite song which we sing every day for naps and bedtime. (no I am not making a sound clip of me singing...)

The children kept insisting they speak English. So I asked them what they could say and they just kept counting to me in English. It was sooooo adorable.

The children mostly played after that. Baby Bird found the giant train bin and was quite content. He also bailed on the art project from making a drachen or kite (they use the word for dragon in German) to "play trains." And it seems like playing trains is a universal language for the other few boys there. Baby Bird definitely made some friends.

The wonderful but surprising part of this kindergarten is that the parents actually cook lunch for the kids 1-2 times a month. This and from meeting a few of the parents in the morning, it definitely had a community feeling.

I lucked out on this one.

3 comments:

Cap11C said...

Well...I had planned on sending Kimber as a live-in nanny, but since you found such a wonderful kindergarten I'll find somewhere else to send her. Enjoy your time away from Baby Bird, and cherish your time with him!

Yelli said...

WHAT?? No don't send her anywhere else! I would take her in a second! Uhh...the kita...uhh ...has bad food...yea! I was uhh...just kidding about all the nice stuff!

Brian Barker said...

I think there should be a spoken Universal Language as well.

Check http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670 if you have time.

Otherwise http://www.lernu.net ?