Sunday, August 31, 2008

Unplug your Kids - Insects

We have a 2 part project to this week's theme of Insects. The first part happened because we stumbled accidentally on an amazing insect display.

The second part is video of us finding insects and acting out their mobility.

PART 1: Britzer Garten Insect Display


We ended up at Britzer Garten which I blogged about a couple of days ago. While we were walking through the park, we found a really fantastic insect display!

Here is B looking at the ant model.
Here is B looking at the bee model.
We talked a lot about how the 2 insects are different. Since we both have a science background, I am sure that we talked a little too much since he just kept making bee noises..Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We also showed him a spider and web even though technically, spiders are not insects.

Don't worry-it is just a model!

There was a wonderful display on beehives!



We also got really lucky and found a real Beinenhaus or bee hive. We watched the bees go in and out of the hive for a few minutes.

We were making sure to watch from a safe distance.
Here are the honey bees coming in and out of their house! B was pretty fascinated.

On our way out, we saw a flying insects that Baby Bird was pretty fascinated by.

We felt really luck to have found this display on the week that we were doing insects.

I also did a PART 2. This project was the one I actually had planned but I am having trouble uploading the video so hopefully I can fix this soon.

UPDATE: I think I (ok... the hubby) figured it out.

PART 2: How Insects Move

On a very beautiful day, our fam headed down to the castle near our house where there is a very large and very beautiful garden. We looked for different insects and how they moved. The video is not quite 3 min so please watch and enjoy. BTW: I have a "license to be crazy in public" because I have a 2-year-old. He loved every minute of it.


8 comments:

juliekintaiwan said...

Those are great models. Looking forward to seeing your part 2.

Michie said...

That looked like a fun outing for part one. I wonder what part two will be?

So Smrt said...

Wow. Those models are great! And I love that they are realistic, but "friendly looking"...does that make sense? They've done something with the scale that makes them not look scary even though they're big.

MEg

School for Us said...

Looks like a great time exploring insects. I'll be looking for part 2, too. :-)

Nature Mama said...

Those are fantastic models! How great :) What a neat place to visit and my kids would have loved to be able to observe the bee hive to. Thanks for sharing :)

Kayla said...

Oh my goodness, sooooo funny.

Lisa said...

Super fun watching your video! Looks like a neat museum. I have a science background too and it's funny how we are quick to note that certain bugs are not technically insects, but I suppose to a two-year-old, they're all the same! :)

Ashley said...

How fun! That museum looks great.