Sunday, October 26, 2008

Unplug Your Kids - Thin

For this week's project, (remember I strongly dislike adjectives) we decided to make a Fall collage and card. I looked at all of the lovely crafts we have made and realized that Baby Bird's Grandparents' refrigerator has none! We are hogging them all! So this card and collage will get sent to the Grandparents. (If you are reading this Grandparents - pretend to be surprised!)

First, I found these little paper cut-outs with different shapes at the 1 Euro store.
So I folded the thin card in half and let Baby Bird decorate. We used the big "star roller" to roll a corner so that stars were imprinted in the paper.

Then Baby Bird picked different shapes to cut out. The paper AND the cutout shapes were all THIN!


Finally he colored on the card. He informed me he was making "train tracks."
It was nearing bedtime so Baby Bird took a bath and then Jammy-time!

We tried to help teach Baby Bird how to use the kid-friendly scissors to cut out leaves in red, yellow or orange but I think he will need to be a little older to have his coordination down.
Then we pasted them on the brown construction paper (which is also thin).


He also insisted on cutting out more shapes on the collage with the new paper cut-outs.

Finally, his masterpiece was done! The leaves don't all exactly look like leaves but we gave him a lot of creative expression.

We were going to also paste real leaves on it but decided that leaves don't ship well in the mail to another continent.

I had also thought about doing something with Baby Bird's obsession Thomas the Tank Engine because there is a character called the Fat Controller or Sir Topham Hatt. I thought this would be a good way to introduce the concept.

But then realized that the last thing I need right now is little American boy telling people they are like the Fat Controller!

7 comments:

Bobbie said...

ha ha ha about the fat controller.. my eldest girl used to love thomas when she was little..

beautful leaves... wish there were some coloured leaves here

Michie said...

He looks very proud of his card! I'm sure his grandparents will love thier "thin" card!

Linds said...

Love the card, how cute!

The Mommy said...

This will be our first week participating in the Unplug your Kids project, so I'm travelling around looking at what others are doing. My daughter is 2 and this project looks like it might just work well for her! Your little bird is adorable, and his card is just lovely. Thank you so much for sharing!

reprehriestless warillever said...

It is always good to share the wealth -- I am sure that Baby Bird's Grandparents will love the card.

Gottfredsen said...

What a great collage. I am sure that the grandparents will love it.

Jessica said...

Little Bird did a great job on his project this week. Thanks for sharing