Sunday, November 16, 2008

Unplug Your Kids - SORT!

This week's theme was not difficult for me. See, 4 months ago, my family got rid of almost everything we owned except for 2 suitcases per person and moved to a different country. If you want motivation for sorting through your stuff, by all means, the best way is to move to a different country and decide to bring almost nothing. (Of course, I don't necessarily recommend this but if you are one of those who don't learn otherwise, this is a good lesson...)

Sad to say, I didn't even think we were pack rats! We threw a lot away and went through our old clothes semi-regularly. So, GO NOW AND AND SORT!!!! Do it EVERY DAY! You don't need it!!! I really mean that! I speak from experience! (Thank you again Eric, Janet, Jane, Rose and John and all others who helped...)

Since trash and donate was a bit difficult for us since we live on so little right now (it is amazing what you think you would die without and get by with like my food processor-oh how I miss you but have managed to cook delicious dinners regardless...) but we did decide to tackle the concept of sort.

We started by color and then by shape. Since I am certain all of you can understand the concept of sort, I will leave my witty commentary out.



Remember, 2-year old attention spans are fleeting and after sorting most of the blocks, he did his little destructive 2-year old thing.

Later, we sorted by type of block with some help from the Parental Units.

Go my minions and sort, trash and donate.

See other projects from Unplug your Kids here.

6 comments:

The Sugar Fairy said...

Your idea was really simple. I couldn't think of anything at all for this challenge. You've given me the idea to start sorting objects with my 18 month old. Thanks.

Gottfredsen said...

What a great idea. Sometimes it is nice when things can be simple. Just look at the joy he had on his face. Good Job.

Kate in NJ said...

Wow! I am not ready to give up all my "stuff",but I get your point. :-)
Cute pictures of your "sort".

This Girl loves to Talk said...

great project.. I didnt get to it this week either.. so much else going on.. but i could have done this.. I like it.. my 2 year old couldnt do that.. I think I need to start with some grouping

juliekintaiwan said...

I really need to go through our stuff more. Great sorting activity with the wee one. My little one isn't interested at all in sorting yet.

Dayna said...

I would love the freedom of just two suitcases :) One of the nice things about moving from an apartment to a home was getting rid of the stuff I was saving for our someday house. Now there is space for those things we love and we work on something in something out. I have thought about your blog posts a couple times this week already - thinking of the things we could move on without. Thanks :)