Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Virtual Post Election Bash - Swept away...

President Obama's speech in Berlin

I have a funny feeling in my stomach. You know, the one that you get when you have found a new love when you are 12. It is as if I can't believe that today actually happened. I mean, it feels like it was just yesterday that we were at his rally in Berlin.

Another American expat in Germany has organized The 1st Virtual Post Election Bash. Since I am unable to celebrate in the US and I have a little guy which keeps me tied to home, I thought I would try to do this virtually! I have many thoughts and am very tired but will try to articulate them.

I have been feeling a bit like a correspondent for my friends in America
Anchor: And now to Yelli for the European perspective on the new President: President Barack Obama
Me: Thank you. The Europeans are very excited and as one said to me today, "Today we are all rejoicing with the Americans... Today, we are all Americans."
Anchor: What is the mood there today?
Me: Well there are quite a lot of very tired and very relieved people on both sides of the Atlantic I imagine.

and to my new European friends here, I also feel like an American ambassador:
Random European: Wow! What does everyone think in the US?
Me: Well, they are excited but there are still a lot of little races that I am watching.
R.E.: How does the electoral university work again?
Me: (sigh) well....it goes like this. The history of the Electoral College is about states right vs national...

I also wanted to take this time to give a big shout out to the blogosphere. I keep remembering a very corny quote about "they had hope when there was none" or something like that. I clearly remember how defeated I felt after the 2000 and 2004 election. Yet, people like Daily Kos, Eschaton, Balloon Juice, Talking Points Memo and Digby's Hullabaloo (who is a female blogger and shocked the blogosphere when SHE accepted an award and came out of her anonymity) and many, many others continued to raise funds and raise awareness...and CHANGE. They never gave up.

(On a side note, Balloon Juice was a Republican but decided to change party affiliation recently)

They didn't accept this new America and instead of feeling defeated, complaining or sitting back, they actually started to work towards their vision of who should hold the power in America. They started websites like Orange to Blue which helped candidates who probably normally wouldn't have had the money to start a campaign to run and to help those who were being unfairly attacked. They wrote countless post after post, fact checking, and criticizing those on both sides who they felt were wrong and not in the best interest of Americans.

and that to me is the very essence of what it means to be an American....

So I say, PROST to the American people and to newly elected President Obama!

I leave you with this video again of Obama's rally in Berlin called "How to indoctrinate a 2-year-old."




3 comments:

Andrea said...

Feels great to be American doesn't it?

Adam said...

I teared up at the thought of Obama while walking home at 4am...

and right now I am watching BBC World look at African-Americans in history... the world is beautiful

Diane Mandy said...

I think you make a wonderful correspondent! Great post!