Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yellow with...envy?

One thing I love about being in a different culture is looking at things I take for granted with new eyes. One of those ideas is with color associations. What color(s) do you associate with these words (if you even have a color association)?

  1. envy
  2. hope
  3. sadness
  4. knowledge
  5. peace
  6. secrets
  7. Death
  8. Isolation
  9. Attention or Warning
  10. Love
Germans have very different associations with colors than I grew up with in the US and if I had to guess, I would say other cultures have even different ideas. Please feel free to share your answers below. I will post the German answers soon!

3 comments:

Yelli said...

1. envy - green
2. hope - blue
3. sadness - blue
4. knowledge - maybe white?
5. peace - rainbow
6. secrets - ?
7. Death - black
8. Isolation - black?
9. Attention or Warning - red
10. Love - red

This is my "American" perspective...

Just to counter, USA is a BIG country and I am sure there are even differences within the different regions of the US.

Afferent Input said...

1. envy = green
2. hope = white
3. sadness = blue
4. knowledge = purple
5. peace = white
6. secrets = huh?
7. Death = black
8. Isolation = blue
9. Attention or Warning = red
10. Love = red

Anger is red, too. There is a reason all these things are red...

Snooker said...

1. envy - green
2. hope - yellow
3. sadness - blue
4. knowledge - gold or yellow?
5. peace - rainbow
6. secrets - purple
7. Death - black
8. Isolation - black?
9. Attention or Warning - red
10. Love - red

My American perspective too...
I'll be interested in your German answers.