Sunday, December 7, 2008

Unplug Your Kids Fluffy

To explore the concept of fluffy this week, I am sure I made just one of many Santa projects. But as an extra bonus, we also threw a Rudolph in there for good measure.

I have been compiling toilet paper tubes for quite awhile now so I thought we should try to use some of these.

First, we rolled up Santa in red construction paper and the reindeer in brown.


Then we let them dry for a little bit. We then cut out a face for Santa. Baby Bird drew a face and then we pasted it on the tube.
Then we pulled apart some cotton balls for the beard, Santa hat top and liner. Baby Bird soon discovered that fluffy and glue don't go well together.
I rolled up a square of red paper for the hat. He attached the cotton to the bottom and top. We also attached the stretched cotton for the beard.
While that dried, we worked on the reindeer. I cut out four slits for legs. I left them big enough so it would still be able to stand up. Then we used a hole punch to make 2 holes on either side of the head. Baby Bird stuck a pipe cleaner through and then we fashioned these as antlers.
We then painted the feet black.
We cut 2 white big white circles. Baby Bird pasted these on the head. He drew the black iris dots with paint. We also coiled up a pipe cleaner (or chenille strips as they are now known as) for Rudolph's nose! The nose was attached by using a small hole in the front and attaching the chenille strip through it.

A picture is worth 1,000 of my words!

He liked them so much, he took them in his favorite place- his Zelt or tent! ("Watch out-they still might be wet!" we yelled.)
Now these are some classy decorations!!


You can find directions for the Santa here and the reindeer here. For all other fluffy projects, check out Unplug your Kids.

7 comments:

Claire said...

How cute! I cannot wait until I can do this with my LO. In the first pic Baby Bird has his fist under his chin like, "Glue is boring." Later there is a pic with Dad in the background doing the same thing!

Afferent Input said...

Apples, trees, falling not far and all that.

Crescent Moon said...

Those are so cute!

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali said...

Those are really stinkin' cute. I may have to borrow that idea for my preschool at home, on Wednesday.

The Sugar Fairy said...

How easy! The Santa one is our favourite one.

Mom Unplugged said...

Those are absolutely the best kind of Christmas decorations! You'll keep them forever (my mother kept many of mine which I have now - and I am 42!).

juliekintaiwan said...

Cuteness! I'd seen the toilet paper santa tubes before, but not the reindeer!