Saturday, February 21, 2009

How to make a snowperson in Berlin

With the snow still a plenty here, we decided to brave the cold and head to the castle near our place for some snow fun!

One concern I had before moving here with a 2-1/2 year old was that we would not have any open space to play in. I hadn't really been to Berlin before we moved here and couldn't imagine raising a child in a very urban setting. Luckily for me, Berlin is extremely forested with loads of open spaces. One of our favorite places is on the grounds of the Schloss Charlottenburg. (If you would like to see lovely summer photos, click here)

What's that? Animals in winter?


Squirrels! The squirrels here are very cute. They are redder and have long furry red ears.

We also saw some ducks. These were especially beautiful and reminded me of wood ducks back in the Midwest. Anyone know what these are called?



Then we put Baby Bird in a planter. I wasn't sure how he would react but he seemed to like being stuck there.

I am glad the Scientist who has many advanced degrees hasn't "let it go to his head" and is able to remember how to teach Baby Bird to roll a snow ball!


We had to search for awhile to find "arms."

and clumps of dirt and ice rocks for the eyes.

What a great snowperson!

Say "Snowperson!"


I have to admit, it was a little strange to find that the best place to build a snowperson in Berlin was next to a castle which was built in 1695! Gotta love Europe!

We finished it off with some hot chocolate and marshmallows!

NOTE: Marshmallows are usually not to be found in Germany but I bought a bag for less than 2 Euros from Ullrich.


Chocolate mustache!

Sign of a good day!

3 comments:

So Smrt said...

Hi! I love your pictures...I've been wondering if you post your Funny Photo Friday on a Linky somewhere? I've been wanting to participate in one, but can't find one that's still active. The German translation ones you post are hilarious!

Yelli said...

Hi So Smrt - While I can assure you I am not that creative, I just started making that up by myself. I was playing with Mr. Linky today and next week I will be starting to add that box along with my funny foto friday! Play along if you would like...

J said...

I love the photos of the snowperson in front of the castle. Not sure why, but I do.