Monday, February 16, 2009

Unplug Your Kids - Wrinkle

We did two projects for wrinkle this week.

Instead of throwing everything out, we try to reuse as much as possible. We have some giant diaper boxes that we use to store Baby Bird's trains and tracks in. However, the lettering on the sides are such an eyesore that I have been meaning to cover it up for months now. This was a perfect chance to get an idea in my head to use.

We started off by letting Baby Bird paint a few pictures.

Then we made our firework pictures. This really doesn't have anything to do with much but since we found out that the Germans turn into pyros on New Year's Eve (and everyday surrounding NYE) he seems to think all loud noises are fireworks.

First, we cut small slits of paper. Then we let Baby Bird wrinkle them up.

He really enjoyed this.

Then, we made small dabs of glue on a sheet of paper where they attached each of the wrinkled strips to the glue.

We had to let these dry so we put them to the side and began another project.

We took a wrinkled balloon, baking soda, and vinegar. We didn't have any white vinegar so we used apfel essig instead.

Baby Bird helped me dump the baking soda and then the vinegar into the glass bottle.

I then QUICKLY put the balloon on. I think the Scientist actually captured his delight on film!

He was fascinated with this for another hour! We repeated this a few times and then just played with balloons.

Then we went back to the original project after naptime, dinnertime and a haircut!

I couldn't even get him to stop being fascinated with the fireworks pictures he had created. (He wouldn't turn the picture around)

We assembled all of the pictures he had created onto his Train Storage Box using tape. Now his train box looks adorable!

Sure, we could buy a plastic bin but it wouldn't look at cool as this one!

For more Unplug your Kids projects, click on the link to see how others have explored wrinkle.

4 comments:

Michie said...

I like your projects. I just couldn't come up with anything for wrinkle myself!

So Smrt said...

Yes, we are re-use nuts too. My goal is to do the unplugged projects without purchasing anything, and that might work considering the stockpile of junk in my basement!

Yelli said...

@ Michie - I think I was stretching it a bit here but we had fun!

@ So Smrt - we got rid of all of our junk when we moved here but there are times when I wish I had a basket of scraps to go through! D'oh!

MoziEsmé said...

Very cute box - I love it!