Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In which I attempt to explain the origin of Baby Bird

Some time ago, a family member asked me why I call my son Baby Bird on my blog. They had assumed it was because we liked birds.

We do like birds. We like birds a lot. In college and other cities I have lived, I actually birded.
Birding means you get up at 4-5 am and go out into the forest to listen for birds. (cue nerd jokes here) I actively participated in local birding groups and Christmas Bird Counts. I was even a witness at seeing a White-Winged Scoter in Central Illinois (this is FAR out of its normal range) hanging out with a bunch of small Green-Winged Teals. Quite a comical scene.

Then we moved. Birds, like humans, have different dialects and Northern Flickers (a common type of woodpecker all over the US) in one area do not sound the same as Northern Flickers in another.

I haven't birded much lately, if at all, but I can't blame only dialect. My Baby Bird takes up large amounts of my time which are not conducive to learning new bird sounds. He is also not particularly prone to being quiet and hence, scares nice birdies away.

Anyway, what does this have to do with my Baby Bird?

Ever since he was a baby, he opened his mouth very wide to signify he was hungry ...



just like baby birds...

2 comments:

Snooker said...

How cute... and now we know the rest of the story.

C N Heidelberg said...

We used to bird too. :) Our weirdest birding moment - we did an online birding tour of Mt Auburn cemetery. Later we went and did the real thing (several times, but this was the first time) and we saw one of the birds from the online tour in exactly the same place on a lawn near a pond that it was in the online tour. It was sort of eerie.

One time a student from MIT came up to us as we were birding there to ask if we wanted to be in a study about people who bird (something about how they think about this stuff) but we said we weren't serious enough to qualify!!