Monday, March 30, 2009

Infuriating in AK

I know I am not a high profile blogger and I HIGHLY doubt anyone would go to the trouble of finding out Baby Bird's real name. Even so, this infuriates me.

This is beyond political parties (even though I believe in this case it is dem on dem). Doesn't Rep. Doogan have better things to do than worry about one anonymous little blogger like the erupting volcano in Alaska which has now shut down the largest airport in Anchorage?

AKmuckracker had her humble starts as a political blogger in Alaska. She unintentionally rose to fame when Alaska's Governer Palin was nominated as the VP and the lower 48 states were hungry for information about this little known governor from the icy state of Alaska. She says herself that she went from 2 to 270,000 hits from her post about One Alaskan's perspective on Palin.

This is not unlike Christina from Amiexpat whose humble beginnings began when her blog received considerable attention as the World Cup was hosted by Germany. And although Christina uses her picture and other information, she still does not use her last name.

This post illustrates why he may have broken the law. I can only hope this is the case.

As many of my fellow expat bloggers have chosen to remain anonymous for many reasons, (unless you head to the Whiny Expat Blogger Meet-Up!) I ask, do we have a right to remain anonymous?


Thanks to Balloon Juice for making me aware of this story.

3 comments:

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

Hm, I go back and forth on the privacy issue. I do not use my childrens real names (in case you didn't know they aren't really named Boo and Chick!) My location I am less guarded about because it's not really all that hard to figure out. Expat communities are smaller than we think most of the time.

I do think if we want to be anonymous we should be able to. Isn't that one of our rights?

J said...

While I do disagree with the way she was 'hunted' and that a representative should have better things to do with his time, I have to say that anybody who thinks they are anonymous on the internet is sadly mistaken. The internet is a public forum and most of us somehow can be found.

Another point: I once had a teacher (can't remember what subject or his name) that told us 'Anonymous criticism is graffiti', and I agree with that. If one has a strong opinion, they should be able to express it (open-mindedly), but also be prepared to defend it against those who disagree with them. I don't know why the blogger you've cited wanted to remain anonymous (and am off to work shortly, so I don't have time to find out), but the entire incident could have been avoided if she didn't (or if the rep actually ha better things to do – like he was elected to).

Yelli said...

Hi J- Interesting thoughtful comment. The blogger has not told anyone why she wanted to remain anonymous but she cites reasons in her post such as escaping from an abusive husband, protection for her children, she doesn't want bricks in her window etc..I don't think any of these are necessarily true in her case but I do think that she has a right to remain anonymous if she wants too. (as anonymous as one can be on the net as your teacher pointed out)

Also, this case might be "special" due to the fact that she didn't attack this rep without regard. She gave an articulate thoughtful account of why she thought what he was doing was not right. Why he didn't respond in an equally thoughtful and articulate way is beyond me. The fact that she didn't sign her name seems to be irrelevant.

I definitely want to think about this issue more.