Monday, March 2, 2009

Unplug Your Kids - Bottle

The theme this week at Unplug your Kids was bottle.

We decided to try to make musical bottles and jars with and without water. We gathered all available empty bottles and jars laying around (which isn't hard because I like to reuse).

I gave Baby Bird 2 wooden spoons and a small metal spoon and let him explore with the empty bottles and jars first. He really enjoyed this.

Then, we filled them with varying amounts of water. I think with older kids, it would be much easier to make a lesson out of this but Baby Bird is still only 2. There are many applications for this and I can see redoing this project in a year.


We also asked him to tap the top of the jars.


And the bottom of the jars. We asked him if they made different noises and he said yes but I am not necessarily convinced that he understood. He did like to continue to bang the spoon on the different parts of different bottles.

The plastic and glass jars obviously made different noises which he really enjoyed. I am not sure if he has a job as a percussionist in his future but he sure had fun. Good and Fun as Baby Bird would say...

For other explorations of the theme bottle, check out Unplug your Kids.

8 comments:

Meg said...

Thats neat! My son is 2, too. I'm sure he would get a kick out of this.

Mom and Kiddo said...

I've always thought about doing this but when he was younger I knew we would end up with broken glass. maybe I should give it a try now.

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali said...

Loud and musical is always FUN! Love it!

Joannof10 said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun with this!

So Smrt said...

Did you try rubbing the rims, or is that for wine glasses only? Come to think of it, the spoon was probably much safer!

Michie said...

This is another one of those "meaning to do it" projects for me. I think my little one would like it too.

Jennifer said...

My little musicians would like this.

Dayna said...

woo hoo musical fun with recyclables!! I love it.