Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's Up Germany Wednesday?

German. Spoons. Are. Too. Big.



I don't know why Germans use what Americans consider "Big Spoons" for regular spoons. How do you eat with these? Is this only a Berlin thing?

See them struggling to eat "whatever-I-can-find-in-stores-to-resemble-chili-in-Germany?"


There are 2 sizes of spoons here. Ginormous and Tiny. The tiny spoons are for tea and coffee and the ginormous spoons are for everything else. Here is a comparison of the 2 spoons. See how "medium" is missing?

Unfortunately, I did not bring any normal size spoons with me from the States to compare but please just trust me when I tell you that there are the size of or bigger than the "big spoons" in your neighborhood.

For more information on the funny cartoon above which is just a clip of a longer cartoon, see here.

8 comments:

heissescheisse said...

I totally validate this "What's up Wednesday".

I end up using the tiny spoon because the big spoons don't actually fit in my mouth.

C N Heidelberg said...

I think our spoons aren't quite as big as yours. But they are definitely bigger than American spoons. When I go back to the US I think the spoons are too small! :D

Emily Flechtner said...

it's so true! I think this all the time!!!!!!

seb said...

I think soups (and desserts) are the only foods "allowed" to be eaten with a spoon according to common German table manners - and the big ones are not contructed to be inserted completely but to sip your soup.
There are special spoons for kids in pre-fork age, Kinderlöffel, which often get handed down from generation to generation.

heza said...

yep, our spoons are too big too! Could be an ikea thing?

Yelli said...

Well, I am glad to know I am not the only one who thinks this. CN- I think I will probably think that too!

@ seb - That at least gives some perspective on why the spoons are SO BIG!

@ Heza- That occurred to me too but I also find too large spoons in all sorts of restaurants. It couldn't be that they all shop there...or could it!?!?

Claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claire said...

They have in-between-spoons at IKEA! They are perfect. I've never noticed the problem before, but that might be because we have ginourmous spoons in Holland as well ;-). I agree with Seb that you should only eat soup with the big spoons. And pasta is ok as well.