Thursday, April 30, 2009

Phone vs E-mail

We were recently invited to a mystery place (I will tell you more about it when I return) for the holiday weekend here.

The holiday is Labor Day but here it is called Tag der Arbeit - 1. Mai. If you click on the link you can read some very interesting history about it.

I was told that Labor Day here in Berlin can be pretty messy. Demonstrations and car burning are regular activities and are expected. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that in this economy, this year won't be any different. In fact, last year, Berlin's police chief warned that fancy cars should not be parked in Kruezberg (Kruezberg is an area of Berlin in the West). So I was happy to have made plans to leave this weekend (although in my area, demonstrations are HIGHLY unlikely unless the pensioners decide to leave their walkers at home and go to bed late!)

Back to my point. Our friends that invited us away for the weekend are German. We have been making plans for just a couple of days.

I noticed that every time I send her an email, she uses this

and actually calls me.

At first, I thought it was just a coincidence but after thinking about this and other occurrences, I am starting to wonder if Germans would just rather use the phone. Those of you who live in Germany, has this also been your experience?

I don't mind talking on the phone. It seems much more efficient in some cases but I will have to get used to listening for and actually picking up our home phone. :)

Culture Shock continues to happen... even in month 10.

7 comments:

sarah1976 said...

German or otherwise, when I contact someone via e-mail and they respond with a phone call, it makes me livid. I try to always respond using the same medium by which I was contacted and assumed everyone else did, too. And since becoming an e-mail user, I kind of hate the phone anymore. I haven't particularly noticed this as a German thing, though.

Irrational? Probably, but there you have it.

C N Heidelberg said...

I'm a phone-hater so I love email :) I have noticed people calling me instead of texting me back, but not calling me instead of emailing me back. Maybe it's particular to her?

Off topic, I think I have my Berlin geography screwed up? I thought Kreuzberg was in the former West?

Sandy said...

“Kruezberg is an area of Berlin in the former East”

No, Kreuzberg was a district of West-Berlin...

cliff1976 said...

I remember that because Kreuzberg is the birthplace of the German-style Döner!

The East Germans

(a) didn't have imported Turkish labor (right?), and

(b) probably would have never let something as awesome as the Döner escape to the outside world.

christina said...

I have a phone phobia too and I've noticed that Germans LOVE to phone people rather than use e mail.

Hope you had a good time out of the city. The neo-N*azis scheduled a parade in Hannover today but it was officially verboten so we'll see what happens. No way I'd ever go downtown on May 1 in Germany!

Lulu said...

LoL .. having been born and raised in "West"-Berlin, I almost want to take offense to the statement that Kreuzberg is part of what was formerly East-Berlin.

Kreuzberg is traditionally part of West-Berlin.

Ok, the balance in the universe has been restored.

:-)

Yelli said...

Thank you everyone who pointed out my mistake. It is fixed and the "balance of the world" has been restored. :)