Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's Up Germany Wednesday

Why is my window closed on such a beautiful day?


No screens = BUGS!

I am fairly certain that I can generalize ALL of Europe in this post.

I am generally not squirmy about bugs at all but I don't like finding random fruit fly nests in a minuscule drop of honey I forgot to clean up. We also have some very aggressive wasps that buzz in and out of the house. And I can assure you that I don't need to prove there are mosquitoes biting me with mosquito bite pictures and the red X's I insert with my nail into the middle to help prevent them from scratching. (I don't think it helps the scratching but at least it makes me feel better.)

A HS friend, who was an ex-pat in Belgium, had a DIY approach to screens at their house.

I have been taking an unofficial very scientific poll among Europeans about why they don't have screens. Besides claiming that there aren't very many bugs that enter the houses here (WRONG!), they also claim screens are ugly.

Ok, I will give them the ugly but no bugs? Do you have problems with this out there?

On another note, we have a June marathon of visitors starting on Thursday and ending at the end of June with 3 sets of people visiting. I don't know how much time for blogging I will have but be assured, I will probably still be reading yours!

12 comments:

Mandi said...

I would love to have screens on our windows. If not to prevent bugs, then at least to stop the dang fuzzies that fly through the air from piling up on our windowsills! It's a hard life here, you know.

PapaScott said...

Not so fast... you *can* find screens in Germany, and we've got them in our house, on nearly every window! (Not on the Velux skylights, though, that would be pretty much impossible! :-)

We live out in the country on a former cow pasture, and there are horses boarded right next door, so we think the insects would be unbearable in the summer without screens. Our neighbors don't agree, though. We're the only ones we know that have them.

We had our screens made by Klaus Maack, der Mückengittermacher, located near us, but I'm sure there must be similar firms throughout Germany.

DBunny said...

I'm right there with you on the screen thing! I mean, forget to take the trash out and wake up in the morning on a hot day with like 10 big, fat black flies in your kitchen? To heck with that!

There ARE screens you can buy at DIY stores, but it can be a real problem if you live in an apartment. We're on the umpteenth floor and aren't allowed to be drilling into window frames even if we could (from the outside at such height). All the sticky/velcro kinds we've tried so far never last more than maybe a day. The wind will just tear them right off.

PapaScott: I covet your lovely screens, lol!

Blopper said...

Our local OBI has "Tesa Insect Stop" screen kits. It basically consists of velcro tape that you afix to the borders of the window, and screen "fabric" that you stick onto the velcro. Voila! Instant Screens.

Blopper said...

See my beautiful (LOL) screens here:
http://ger-seygirl.blogspot.com/

christina said...

Yes! Tons and tons of bugs of every variety, especially mosquitos which bite my husband half to death so we have screens on the upstairs windows - the kind you stick on with velcro.

Tammy B said...

we do the Velcro screens every year. I have been too lazy (and cheap) to organize something better. If we ever get a house, there are some sweet roll down screens that I would love to install.

Tamara said...

Yeah, my entire last summer at Ulrike's house (ha!) was spent chasings these enormous moths that would enter my open windows. What's up German?

Snooker said...

Well living with the German has made me adjust to this non screen thing. I kinda like the increased air flow. But I agree the kitchen full of flies is something which must be managed.

Claire said...

I totally feel what you mean, my ceiling is black and white instead of just white because of all the dead mosquitos on it... Will be installing screens when I find the time!

Laura said...

I also do the velcro screens, and mosquitos and flies are not welcomed inside our home! They don't look great, but they work. We're moving to a new home this month and hope to upgrade to nicer, 'real' screens

Jul said...

I think our windows are too big for the velcro screens, so I'm considering just making myself a full-body mosquito netting suit to wear around so I can stop getting eaten alive. Would be sexy, I bet.