Sunday, June 21, 2009

The dreaded Schimmel...

When my landlords came over to fix our washing machine, they said something every tenant (and especially in Germany here & here) dreads, "Es gibt Schimmel here!" Schimmel is mildew and we have have it in our bathroom.

This picture is next to the shower where there is NO SHOWER CURTAIN. Even though we keep the windows open (Brrrr) & put a towel down, it doesn't seem to stop the mildew from growing.

This is actually in the shower.

I went to DM, Rossman and Schlecker (all stores like Walgreens minus drugs) but I didn't find anything specifically for Schimmel. The Scientist suggested looking at Bauhaus (a German Home Depot) where we found this - worth its weight in gold.


I simply sprayed it on, left it there for an hour

and then wiped it off!

Problem solved!

Now if only someone could tell me what product gets out the white hard water stains...

8 comments:

christina said...

Yeah, that Schimmelentferner is fantastic stuff. We had problems in our bathroom, less so now that we re-tiled everything, and when we ripped out our old kitchen there was just TONS of mold behind the cabinets. Bleh.

For the hard water stains you need something that says "Kalkentferner" on it.

arturgreensward said...

Yeah or some vinegar works great...

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

We had mold grow in our closet in our old apartment. I opened the door one day (we only kept suitcases in there so I never really looked in it) and there was green mold everywhere. Thankfully our landlord took care of it. There was a leak in the roof and we were on the top floor.

If you can could you do me a favor? Would you buy a copy of today's (Monday 6-22) Berlin Morganpost? The scores for the Velothon yesterday are in there and Hubby wants a copy. If you can email me momof2squirts@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to pay for it and postage :)

Thanks!

Mandi said...

For hard water stains (ugh), we use "Cillit Bang" -- Kraftreiniger Kalk & Schmutz -- in the purple bottle with the orange spray nozzle. Now that I'm actually really looking at the bottle, I'm realizing that they probably mean "kill it, bang!" Frightening. Anyway, it works to get rid of the dang calk!

Snooker said...

I'm with Mandy, the Cillit stuff works miracles on calcium deposits.

As for the "no shower curtain" issue, the place was probably built for a bathtub only, so no good way to put up a curtain. We had to go get a special "C hanger" which starts and ends on the same wall. Let me know if you are interested, and we'll see what we can do to hook you up.

honeypiehorse said...

I've had good results with white vinegar. And paying someone to clean my house.

C N Heidelberg said...

We have to get some of this stuff. I hate this about summer. This is such a moldy, mildewy country with it's non-drafty buildings. To make matters worse, our bathroom fan stopped working and we're waiting on new parts to replace it. So the moist, warm apartment is just all the more moist and warm now. UGH.

Yelli said...

Oddly enough, I tried vinegar and it didn't work. I think the vinegar I bought wasn't as strong as what I could buy in the US. I couldn't find it at the regular store so I bought it at an Asian market? Unfortunately, it doesn't have a concentration listed anywhere... But the Schimmel stuff worked great!