Friday, June 12, 2009

Funny Foto Freitag

There is a stereotype about the German language that they just stick words together to make reallllllllllllllllllllllly long compound words.

Evidence number 1:

And a close up in case you can't see it.

I believe this 23-letter word says, literally translated, Boss Room Accommodation en (I don't know why the ending -en is there).

The Scientist believes that the German language only really has like 30 words. They just string the rest of them together to make bigger words like Herzkreislaufwiederbelebung (heart-circle-run-again-enlivenment) which in English is known as C.P.R. Or what about Niederschlagswahrscheinlichkeit (downward knock truth appear). Don't know what Niederschlagswahrscheinlichkeit is? In English we might say "probability of precipitation!"

Do you know any other long German compound words?

I also have some sad news to report. Mr. Linky is now suffering from its own popularity. Please leave your contributions in the comment section and I will link them to this post.

Other contributors:
  1. Snooker
  2. You are next!

5 comments:

Snooker said...

Hey! I kinda did it... not really funny, but it is mine!
Funny Foto Freitag - BIG Edition.

Mandi said...

Thanks for the Funny Foto! I love the long words -- they look impossibly hard, but with a little puzzling, you can usually figure them out! The longest word that I've actually seen being used is: Selbstverantwortlichkeitsprinzip

Awhile back I wrote about some other favorites of mine here: http://noapathyallowed.com/2008/08/21/long-longer-longest/

P.S. The -en is just the pluralization of the word.

J said...

It looks like that truck backed into/slightly over the car.

Yelli said...

@ Mandi - That was great! I didn't know those words...

@ J- Yes but the real question is does it qualify as an accident or not? :)

me said...

It's a bit early, but here is my submission for Funny Foto Freitag:

http://www.tessa-enright.com/posts/view/101