Sunday, June 7, 2009

Real German Cuisine Challenge: Blankenhainer Kirschkuchen

This week's challenge was a Blankenhainer Kirschkuchen or Cherry cake! This was said to be Schiller's favorite cake.

This was a delicious cake and seemingly easy although I did have a few problems.

We do not have a cherry pitter so I had to cut them in half and cut out the pits myself. This was a problem as it became "One cherry for me, one for the cake." I hope the cake ended up with enough cherries in it! Also, my hands seem to be almost permanently stained red even with vigorous washing.

The directions called for mixing 2 separate bowls; one egg white mixture and one egg yolk mixture. The egg yolk mixture was supposed to be beaten until frothy. This took about 5 min (if I did it correctly). I waited until it looked like a milk shake and was a little bubbly. The color was very light yellow at this point.


After mixing in the flour and cinnamon, I folded the eggs back together again. The egg yolk mixture was hard and a little crumbly. Folding it in took some patience and proved to be a little difficult but eventually it blended together. I would easily say it took another 8-10 minutes of manual labor but the batter turned out to be beautiful, light and fluffy.


After that it was simply a matter of folding the cherries into the batter. I was worried the delicious cherries would turn my cake pink so I only stirred it until everything was barely mixed.

I added some Raw Sugar (Rohrzucker) on the top before I put it in the oven. It gave the cake a beautiful finish.

I had invited a kita friend of Baby Bird's and his mother over for Kaffee und Kuchen on Sunday afternoon. I continued to test the cake with a toothpick until I was sure it was finished and then let it cool for 5 min. I cut into it expecting perfection but then noticed the cake wasn't done in the middle! EGADS!

I put it back in the oven and surprisingly, it still turned out amazing and delicious. The cake was a beautiful golden color and the cherry bits inside made every mouthful moist and delicious. There was a hint of cinnamon and it made the house smell delightful. I served it up with some fresh whipped cream (Schlagsahne) and Voila...

2 thumbs up from my favorite cake eater!



NOTES
  1. buy more cherries! I can't resist them and felt bad putting delicious cherries into a cake.
  2. The timing was wrong. Next time, test only the center with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. It probably needs more than 40 min, even with a convection oven.
  3. This was a really delicious AND fairly easy recipe and I will defintely make this again.
  4. I had to leave out the almonds because of one of my guest's nut allergies and that the hubby is a nut-in-baked-goods hater. :( Next time I will make it for myself and put all the nuts in I want!)
Overall, I would say I will make this cake again. For all other participants, see Amiexpat's Blog!

3 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

I think mine was better today than yesterday! The cherry moisture started to seep through. Good call serving it with whipped cream!

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

I was using the convection mode on my oven and baked it 40 minutes and it came out gooey in the middle. Funny how they got that wrong in the book. You'd think they'd have tested the recipes.

Marshall said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Real German Cuisine Challenge" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info