Wednesday, July 15, 2009

To condiments...

I am sure you thought I would blog about this but I have nothing to say. The economy is rough out there-what else could they do?

I found this article about mayonnaise vs Miracle Whip to be very curious. I have not seen Miracle Whip yet in Germany. I stand corrected! Miracel Whip (not a spelling error) is everywhere! I am not sure why I didn't notice it. (thanks to Regensblog and Snooker for pointing this out) This is a good thing. Miracle Whip is perhaps the most atrocious food product ever invented. (not to be confused with the stupidest 9 inventions ever made including the Tiddy Bear)



It got me thinking about mayonnaise here. As a condiment, mayonnaise is the perfect companion to my perfect sandwich - avocado slices, roasted red peppers, roasted turkey pieces, tomatoes...(can you tell I am hungry?) In fact, it is hard to imagine a sandwich without it.

Here, they put it on fries. I have heard of strange things on fries (Canadians-I am talking to you here) like poutine but mayonnaise? The Scientist is a convert (he also eats poutine) but I am slow to change my ways. (in other words: YUK!)

We have bought plenty of sandwiches here on the go. Usually they come with no condiments (not even mustard) but some occasionally have a butter schmear.

Even though they have Subways (turn your volume down if you click on the link unless you want a heart attack) & even a Schlotzsky's Deli here in Berlin, mayonnaise and sandwiches don't seem to be a part of the culture here.

I have even had trouble finding mayonnaise here. The mayonnaise I have tasted is often sweet which I then classify as "something other than mayonnaise." I have seen it in these tubes but for reasons unclear to me, I can not bring myself to buy them.

Does mayonnaise taste the same in a tube?


Other than one brand of tube mayonnaise, there is this French brand which I found on Christina's post about German/American food substitutes.

This is a suitable substitute but the taste of Dijon is not particularly appealing to me every-time I want mayonnaise.

When I do buy it, I have found it selbstgemacht (homemade) at Rogacki in the back by the fish and vegetable salads.

For most Germans (although I think this is changing), lunch is their big hot meal. (Only 1 hot meal a day!) Breakfast & Dinner usually seem to be bread, meats and cheeses. Even though they have the same ingredients, the ingredients are not assembled together the same. (please correct me if I am wrong here folks).

Anyway, I have learned to live without mayonnaise on my sandwiches, but I am definitely NOT happy about it.



If you can't find it where you are, here's the recipe for basic mayonnaise:

Have all ingredients at room temperature. Cold eggs won't do the deal.
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 cup corn oil or olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp powdered mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice

Put everything but the oil in the blender. Whizz it all up for a minute. Then add the oil in a continuous stream until you can see the blender's not mixing anymore. This can easily take 20 minutes.


6 comments:

Shermanim said...

Love, love, love mayo on fries. It's one of my big treats. But it can't be the sweet kind - only Hellmanns will do. I converted my husband to real mayo when we married, he was eating the Israeli sweet stuff.

Thanks for offering to answer questions for me... I'll get them to you when I have a chance to sit down and write a bit.

Gracey said...

Not mayo in sandwiches? Weird...

Here in Greece, we don't have Miracle Whip either (I don't even know what it is), and we do have our fries with mayo - or mustard / ketchup.

But there are practically no sandwiches without mayo! The two most popular brands are Hellmann's and Kraft.

cliff1976 said...

I have not seen Miracle Whip yet in Germany.

It's here; it's just labeled "Miracel Whip" instead. Not sure why they needed to change the spelling.

Snooker said...

I'm with Cliff, Miracel Whip is all over (thankfully - how would I make chicken salad without it?), but then you're not looking for the magic condiment, so I'm not surprised you didn't see it.

Once I asked a German about the butter on all sandwich thing and she replied that it is just a fat. "The Americans put fats on their sandwiches too, it is just in the form of mayo."

I'm with you on the mayo for fries thing though. Ugh! There is just something about warm, salted fries meeting with cool ketchup.

Margaret said...

Love poutine, but I've had it made by Canadians and not tried it myself. Miracle Whip, as I recall, is supposed to be salad dressing and not a version of mayo.

am said...

Mayonnaise, or 'mayo' as you call it, is by FAR the most disgusting food ever invented! I am convinced that it was made by white people with the sole purpose of tormenting colonial subjects. And I'd rather eat rat poison than 'miracle whip.' I'm having convulsions just thinking about it. Anyway, you would know that euros eat this 'mayonnaise' with their fries had you watched Pulp Fiction...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110912/quotes