Sunday, October 18, 2009

Looking down on us...


My grandfather passed away last week.

I was very lucky growing up. My grandparents were healthy and enjoyed every second of their grandchildren. As a child, I could do no wrong in their eyes. When I brought them a rock, they thought it was the most special rock they ever saw. Whatever I did, I felt that unconditional love that every child should have from their grandparents.

My grandfather himself was a very special person. My parents to get us out of their hair let us visit our grandparents every summer. One summer when I was 11 or 12, I found this "perfect" walking stick that I used to hike around their large farm with in Michigan. My grandpa saved this walking stick for me to this day. He was just that type of person.

Another year, at age 9 or 10, we were driving in the car together. I noticed a sign that said "Pennsylvania". I immediately made a commotion about heading in the wrong direction! He stopped the car and turned around, so thankful that I caught it before we ended up in Pennslyvania. He thanked me for helping him for many years to come. Years later, traveling down the same road as a driver myself, I noticed that that the "road to Pennslyvania" was the correct direction to where we were headed. How we got home that day I will never know!

I could tell you a million stories like this about him and he never once showed that he himself did not have an easy life. His father passed away when he was young and thus he became the breadwinner for the family. He somehow held a job and went to high school at the same time.

When he met my grandmother, who was a recent British immigrant at the time, he was immediately smitten. They got married on her birthday soon after they met much to the chagrin of my proper British grandmother's parents.

I am so happy he got to meet my son. He took so much pride in becoming a great-grandparent. He would carry him around and sing to him like any proud grandparent. He truly was a "Grand Father" in every sense of that word.



He and my grandmother are both gone now but their lessons of never ending patience will not be forgotten.


I apologize in advance if the blog remains blank for a bit more...

8 comments:

Expats Again said...

My sympathies for the loss of your grandfather. What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents. Your grandfather's unconditional love is a gift that you will be able to pass on to your grandchildren.

Adam said...

Your grandparents sound fabulous--but I can only offer my deepest sympathy for your loss...

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

I'm so sorry. My grandfather died 9 years ago and I still miss him everyday. He used to always have Dr. Pepper in the bar fridge whenever I came over just for me.

christina said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Yelli. How wonderful that you have such loving memories of your grandparents to look back on.

Yelli said...

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your comments.

@expats again-you are right to remember that his legacy will be the example of how he was a grandparent.

@ Adam-Thanks! sniff...

@ BMA - what a great memory. Glad to hear I am not alone. Do you do anything special to remember him by?

@ Christina - Thanks...the memories are so precious to me.

sarah1976 said...

Yelli, you have our sympathies. And thanks for sharing those lovely memories of him.

Amber Liddle said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I just went to see my ailing grampa this weekend and I try to take as many mental pictures as possible, knowing we have only a short time with him.

C N Heidelberg said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like an awesome guy and you are so lucky your son could meet him!