Tuesday, June 1, 2010

10 Days...

10 Days...


I am actually a big soccer fan, despite being American. In fact, much to other Germans great surprise, I used to play soccer. A lot. In fact, I think I played on 3 teams before son #1 was born which doesn't even include all of the extra weekend tournaments. Note: this doesn't mean I am any good but I do play enthusiastically...


Maybe I will go into this in another post but I get the feeling that women don't usually play soccer here despite the fact that the German National Womens' team has won the World Cup 2 times since it began in 1991.

I was often teased that I had a baby in 2006 so that I could use my maternity leave as an excuse to watch the World Cup. Perhaps it is no accident that Baby #2 will be born in 2010, just in time for more maternity leave to watch the World Cup.

Me and Baby Bird in World Cup Watching Position with his my favorite book

We have been to one World Cup already. In 2003, the Women's World Cup was abruptly moved to the US due to the SARS outbreak in China. Luckily for us, we were able to score tickets to the games near our city. We even managed to see the semi-finals where the US lost to Germany 0-3. (The US Women came in 3rd place overall with Germany winning in '03)

I even got to see Mia Hamm play and was lucky I did as she retired in 2004.

However, nothing has prepared me for Germany's reaction to the World Cup coming up in 10 days...

Flags, candy, necklaces, candles, etc...Let's just say I would like to challenge you to find a product NOT associated with the World Cup 2010, most decked out in red, yellow and black. Here are a couple of my favs...

Sausages
I actually saw these at LIDL but didn't have my camera with me

Toilet Paper

Isn't this more insulting than anything?

So I guess it should be no surprise that Germans would rather watch the World Cup than have sex.


Need I say more? They have got the Fevah! just not the one you think...


On another note, I have been moderating the comments due to the inordinate amount of spam in Mandarin Chinese I have been receiving. I am not sure why anyone would think that advertising comments on my blog would help sell anything as I am pretty sure that less than 1% of anyone who comes here can actually speak Mandarin Chinese. The spammers are even getting pretty clever. Leaving remarks like "I like you blog" linking to some website in Chinese. Luckily, I am smart enough to spot their bad English. :) Watch out spammers! I am moderating you!

However, the comment moderation will stay on until I can figure out a different way to filter.

2 comments:

Expats Again said...

It is our first time in Germany for a World Cup and I fully get the "feveh." Not having followed Foosball before, I'm trying to learn all I can. It is exciting, eh?

Yelli said...

I do follow (as much as a busy working mommy can) football and I am finding it REALLY exciting! It is neat to be in a place where soccer is appreciated... :)