Tuesday, June 15, 2010

WM Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude is one of those delicious German words that has been gobbled up by the English language. I got to see it in action first hand last night.

Last night Yelli had a pregnancy-induced craving for Ginger Ale. So as a good husband, I headed out to get her some. We were about to watch the Italy vs Paraguay game with our SlingBox but put it on pause till I got back (one very nice feature of the SlingBox). While I was walking back, at about 9:10, which was about 40 min into the game, I heard a roar of applause coming from the many open windows in my neighborhood.

Having seen more than just a smattering of Italian flags hanging from balconies in my neighborhood, and recognizing that I don't live in the Paraguayan district of Berlin, I guessed that the Italians must have scored.

So we got home and turned on the game, expecting an Italian goal at about 40 min. Much to my surprise, in was the Paraguayans that scored! The Berliners were cheering AGAINST the Italians, one of the most despised teams in the world.

I've never been prouder of Berlin...

7 comments:

cliff1976 said...

Wait a minute -- you have access to ginger ale up there?

Is it Schweppes? Or -- dare I even ask -- VERNORS?

I suppose there must be some Schweppes around here, but I would come visit you guys more often if you had Vernors. ;-)

Yelli said...

Sadly, it is not Vernors. That is my favorite also! We have 2 brands -Spree Quell AND Schweppes. Spree Quell I actually think tastes more like Vernors than Schweppes. Do you really not have those in the South? Do you need a care package? :)

C N Heidelberg said...

Berlin is clearly awesome.

Snooker said...

I keep telling you people that Berlin is the ONLY place to live. Adam is on board, when will the rest of you catch up!!?!? :)

P'sst... we have Root Beer too!

Expats Again said...

We have Schweppes in Munich, but I just learned something about our "New" slingbox...I can pause TV shows!! I thought that was only for recording. Hurray! I must say that the Germans were rooting for the U.S. against the U.K. another team they hate.

Irish Berliner said...

Schadenfreude is great! I took particular pleasure in seeing France beaten by Mexico. Wasn't happy to see the US robbed against Slovakia, but Algeria made up for that later on...

ReluctantYankee said...

Grrr...I use Dish Network satellite television service in California and can't get any World Cup action on my television! It's killing me, so frustrated! Enjoy the view for me :)