Thursday, February 10, 2011

American views of Bavaria...

Leavenworth, Washington (not Leavenworth, Kansas-no prisons here!) started off as a little town in dire need of tourism dollars during the Post-depression era. So, they did what any respectable little town would do - they decided to get a theme. After debating between "Cowboys and Indians" and "Bavarian Alps", the obvious choice won.

Fast forward to 2011, the town of Leavenworth is thriving due to its convenient location just a few hours from Seattle and a popular location for outdoor activities in the winter and summer.

And then came this...


Is Kielbasa really Bavarian?

Oh dear...There are some many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin...

Leavenworth is actually a nice little tourist town that we have visited many times due to its perfect location in the middle of the Cascade Mountain Range. We did a lot of this near there:


And just a little outside of Leavenworth was a perfect location for this:


So, please Leavenworth -DON"T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE & FIX YOUR PR FOR YOU!

9 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

I couldn't even finish watching that! Do they really want an influx of stag parties?
My sister has been there and sent me lots of pictures - very cute.

click clack gorilla said...

Whoa. Just whoa. I couldn't finish watching it either. I bet the locals are embarassed.

Mandi said...

Oh man, that totally destroyed my childhood memories of Leavenworth. We used to go during the holidays and check out the little Bavarian village with all its Christmas lights. What's so wrong with being quaint and family-friendly, I ask?

transkitten.com said...

What a car crash of an ad campaign. That would put me off ever going there. How horrible! What a shame... It looks like a lovely place.

Carol said...

The locals (or this one from the same state, at least) ARE embarrassed! BRAWT?! Wtf? Talk about trying too hard...

I'd like to apologize for all Washingtonians!

Carol

sarah1976 said...

All I could think while watching the Dirndlhoochies was 1) those are the cheapest, nastiest Dirndls I've ever seen and 2) you'd NEVER wear those shoes with a Dirndl anyway.

And the 'W' in Brawt almost made me cry.

Frau Dietz said...

This is going to give me nightmares. Forever.

Irish Berliner said...

Holy Scheiße. WHO are they trying to entice to that troubled town?!

Expat in Germany said...

I'd be concerned with what kind of tourists they are trying to attract to what really does look like a lovely place and a wonderful place for a wedding.